7.29.2010

I'm Back in Time for Friend Friday!

The internet has returned after a 9 day stint. That really puts a damper on a blogger! Oh yeah, and I was really distracted by the view from my new backyard...

It's no Jersey Shore, but it will do. 

Jealous?

Well, interestingly enough, that is the topic of today's Friend Friday discussion. 

1. How do you define jealousy?
          A desire for something that you feel you are inadequate in.
2. When do you find you experience a bit of blogger jealousy? 
          On a daily basis. I am jealous of their success, of their followers, of their prose, and of their recognition on a larger scale.
3. What types of blogs or which bloggers are you a little jealous of?
          I am jealous of the blogs that have hundreds of followers. Mostly fashion bloggers, since that is my field. I am jealous of the bloggers who have a better camera than I do and who look better in front of it than behind it. I am definitely jealous of The Busy Budgeting Mama! She's got it all...followers, a creative and clean website design, and she's a pretty great dresser.
4. From the time we're little we are taught that jealousy is a bad thing, but it can also inspire us to be better. Have you changed the way you do things, the content of your blog, etc... as a result of what someone else is doing?
          Yes, I definitely have. However, I wouldn't say that the changes have been out of jealousy. They've been more out of inspiration and a practical look at what makes their blogs tick. My blog design used to have a black background, but after visiting a lot of others' blogs, I saw that a lighter background was more attractive. I look at what makes their blogs easy to navigate and I try to imitate that.
5. What is the best way to overcome jealousy in the blogosphere and in life?
          You have to ask yourself why you are blogging. If you are blogging because you think that your life is more newsworthy than others and that you are the center of the internet universe, you are probably going to have a hard time getting over jealousy in the blogosphere and definitely in life. Purify your intentions. Blog because you want to be expressive or because you want to rid the world of fashion offenders and show men and women that their human dignity should be expressed in their wardrobe. Constantly evaluate and strive to improve. If you are jealous of someone's blog, ask yourself why. If it is because they have more followers, think of constructive and real ways to publicize your blog. You never know, maybe someone will end up being jealous of you


5 comments:

  1. You hit a key point: constantly evaluate and strive to improve. I'm always thinking of new ways to improve myself and it's trial and error. I've found that Facebook is a great way to promote my blog and it's a great way to get reader feedback.

    I like your new design, Gina, and I'm SUPER jealous of your new backyard!

    :)

    Chandra

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let me just say that those pictures of the beach made me miss my first apt by Ft Lauderdale beach! LOL!

    I really liked your last answer, especially when you talk about finding the reason to blog. If you don't do it because you love it, you will never get it to where you want it to be - and leaving more room for unproductive blogger jealousy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for the working internet connection!! And it looks like you are getting settled in the new place, doubly exciting.
    I love the sentence in #5 "Constantly evaluate and strive to improve." We all need to do that, weekly if not daily.
    - Katy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent point: "ask yourself why you are blogging"
    if ever we lose our way and perspective, stopping and looking inward is where the answer always lies.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I definitely suffer from blog jealousy. However, I use the jealousy to propel myself forward - I try to improve my blog, write more and engage my readers. I hope it's working!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for posting a comment! I love reading what you have to say. Leave a link to your blog & I'll be sure to check it out!